Thursday, April 24, 2008

Is anything safe anymore?!?

I don't know how many of you are keeping up with the news on plastics and their safety. This is something that Bryan and I have been discussing for a few months now. Trying to figure out if this is something to be alarmed about or if this is the newest scare tactic that will blow over sooner rather then later. I have started compiling links about BPA (Bisphenol-A) in plastics.

The scary thing about BPA is that it is in so many products. Baby bottles, sippy cups, Nalgene bottles, canned foods, formula cans, baby food cans and so much more. It becomes a problem when you heat fatty substances (i.e. breast milk, formula) and the BPA leaches out of the plastic into what you are heating up. There is also a problem once your bottles start to degrade and get scratches, the BPA can leach out much more freely. This is harmful to everyone, but especiallt fetuses, infants and young children.

Like I said at the top I am still formulating my thoughts on this whole deal. After having Elizabeth I have really started looking at what I am putting in and on my body and hers as well. The possible issues that BPA exposure can cause (early puberty, possible insulin resistance, disrupted brain development are a few) are pretty scary and warrants a further look. I must add, however, these have been only tested in mice and rat studies.

Babies 'R Us just announced that they are going to stop carrying any products with BPA in them. That is a pretty big move for such a large retailer. I know the bottles we bought for E have BPA (Dr. Browns). I have been contemplating taking them back to BRU, especially since we aren't using bottles currently and probably not anytime in the future.

If you made it through this rambly mess you get a gold star! I am sure I will be adding and updating this post through out the day.

So here are a ton of links about BPA for general knowledge. I am definitely not an expert and I probably have tons of mistakes in what I have just posted, but these are a few things in my research and from friends that I have learned and I wanted to pass it along!! Thanks Marianna and Bryan for help compiling links!

Links:
Bisphenol A

BPA Article from the American Chemical Society (ACS)

Facts on Plastic

BPA in infant care products

Bisphenol A: Toxic Plastics Chemical in Canned Food: Consumer tips to avoid BPA exposure

A Survey of Bisphenol A in U.S. Canned Foods

Your BPA questions, answered

No comments: